Monday, September 10, 2012

Paint the Town Purple!

Dear friends,
I haven't had much time for "Dress of the Day" lately, but I appreciate those of you who have told me you miss it. I have devoted my blogging activities to Syrinx Journey, my project performing Claude Debussy's solo flute piece Syrinx every day throughout his 150th anniversary year and posting the videos on my blog. Please visit www.mimistillman.org to see it.

This fashion post is in honor of my dear friend Jane Tamaccio, a woman of style and elegance who dazzles in any color, but especially favors purple. For years she told me I should get a purple concert gown, and when I finally did it became one of my favorites. Today's "Dress of the Day" is a festival of purple items from a range of periods and aesthetics.

These gowns and gloves demonstrate the many moods of this captivating color. The richness of Worth's royal velvet tea gown; the romance of the Jane Austen-style neoclassical ballgown (ca. 1820) in a fresh shade of wisteria; the regal stature conveyed by Charles James's draped, aubergine gown. Lilac gauntlets over 300 years old personify the statement accessory. The iridiscent, amethyst silk of Dior's gown imbues it with a futuristic edge. The two gowns from House of Schiaparelli, attributed to Hubert de Givenchy's period designing there, are fantastic creations in shades from plum through pink.


Dress (Ball Gown)
Ball Gown, American, silk, ca. 1820
Metropolitan Museum of Art


Dress (Tea Gown)
Tea Gown, House of Worth, Jean-Philippe Worth, silk and metal, ca. 1905
Metropolitan Museum of Art


Dress (Ball Gown)
Ball Gown, Charles James, silk, 1949
Metropolitan Museum of Art


Gauntlets
Gauntlets, British, leather, silk, and metal, 1680-1710
Metropolitan Museum of Art


Dress (Ball Gown)
Ball Gown, House of Dior, Christian Dior, silk, 1951
Metropolitan Museum of Art


Dress (Ball Gown)
Ball Gowns, House of Schiaparelli, attributed to Hubert de Givenchy, 1953
Metropolitan Museum of Art

No comments:

Post a Comment